30 de julio de 1943

30 de julio de 1943


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

30 de julio de 1943

Guerra en el aire

Octava Misión de Bombardero Pesado de la Fuerza Aérea No. 80: 186 aviones enviados para atacar objetivos industriales en Kassel. Doce aviones perdidos.

Tecnología

Primer vuelo del jet bombardero Arado Ar 234 (Alemania)

Guerra en el mar

Submarino alemán U-591 hundido frente a Pernambuco

Submarino alemán U-43 hundido con todas las manos fuera de las Azores

Submarino alemán U-504 hundido con todas las manos fuera del cabo Ortegal

Los submarinos alemanes U-461 y U-462 se hundieron frente al cabo Ortegal



& # 8250 & # 8250 Diferencia de fecha del 23 de diciembre de 1921 al 30 de julio de 1943

El número total de días entre el viernes 23 de diciembre de 1921 y el viernes 30 de julio de 1943 es 7.889 días.

Esto es igual a 21 años, 7 meses y 7 días.

Esto no incluye la fecha de finalización, por lo que es preciso si mide su edad en días o el total de días entre la fecha de inicio y la de finalización. Pero si desea la duración de un evento que incluye tanto la fecha de inicio como la fecha de finalización, en realidad sería 7.890 días.

Si cuenta los días laborables o los fines de semana, hay 5.635 días laborables y 2.254 días de fin de semana.

Si incluye la fecha de finalización del 30 de julio de 1943, que es viernes, habría 5.636 días laborables y 2.254 días de fin de semana incluyendo tanto el viernes de inicio como el viernes de finalización.

7.889 días es igual a 1.127 semanas.

El lapso de tiempo total desde el 23 de diciembre de 1921 hasta el 30 de julio de 1943 es de 189,336 horas.

También puede convertir 7,889 días en 681,609,600 segundos.


30 de julio de 1943 - Historia

Historia del 511 ° Regimiento Aerotransportado

por Leo Kocher

El 511 ° PIR se activó en Camp Toccoa, Georgia el 5 de enero de 1943, bajo el mando del LTC Orin D. Haugen. Fue ascendido a coronel de pleno derecho unos meses después. El cuadro del 511º PIR fue seleccionado principalmente del 505º PIR que luego estaba estacionado en Fort Benning, GA. El Regimiento se formó a partir de unos 12.000 reclutas, de los cuales unos 3.000 fueron seleccionados para iniciar el entrenamiento básico. De este último número, alrededor de 2.000 soldados formaron el Regimiento, de los cuales 173 fueron comisionados y tres eran suboficiales. .

El 23 de marzo de 1943, el 511 ° PIR cerró en Camp Mackall, NC para unirse a la 11 ° División Aerotransportada, bajo el mando del Mayor General Joseph M. Swing. Después de 17 semanas de entrenamiento básico, el 511 viajó a la Escuela de Paracaidistas de Fort Benning para tres semanas de entrenamiento de salto. Cabe señalar que, con todo el entrenamiento extenso, ningún soldado del 511 ° PIR que abordó un C-47 se negó a dar el salto.

En diciembre de 1943, el 511 regresó a Camp Mackall para entrenamiento avanzado. El éxito de las maniobras de Knollwood fue fundamental para el uso continuo de tropas aerotransportadas durante el resto de la Segunda Guerra Mundial. En enero de 1944, el Regimiento partió de Camp Mackall hacia Camp Polk, Louisiana, para emprender más maniobras y prepararse para el movimiento en el extranjero.

En abril de 1944, el 511 partió de Camp Polk hacia Camp Stoneman, California. El 8 de mayo de 1944, el 511.º PIR partió de Pittsburgh, CA en el SS Sea Pike con unos 2.000 soldados que se habían disfrazado de una unidad de infantería de "pierna recta". El barco había sido construido por Western Pipe and Steel Corp. y botado en febrero de 1943. El barco tenía 492 pies de largo y una manga de 70 pies. Sacó 29 pies de agua y sus motores de vapor la empujaron a 17 nudos. El 28 de mayo de 1944 el Regimiento llegó a Oro Bay, Nueva Guinea.

Mientras que el 511 estaba en la Reserva Estratégica en Nueva Guinea (mayo-octubre de 1944), llevaron a cabo entrenamiento aerotransportado, selvático y anfibio. El 7 de noviembre de 1944, el Regimiento partió de Nueva Guinea en barco (USS Cavalier) para la Campaña Leyte en Filipinas. Del 18 de noviembre al 27 de diciembre, el Regimiento participó en la Campaña Leyte en las áreas de Abuyog, Dulag, Burauen, Anonang, Manaraawat, Lubi, Mohonag y Anas.

El 511 entró en reserva en el área de Dulag del 27 de diciembre al 21 de enero de 1945. Del 22 de enero al 2 de febrero, el Regimiento se preparó para el próximo salto en Tagaytay Ridge y se trasladó a Mindoro por mar y aire. El 3 de febrero, el 511 saltó sobre Tagaytay Ridge, Luzón. Desde allí el Regimiento se trasladó al Paranaque y al área de Pasay y luchó en el Ft. McKinley y Alabang hasta el 19 de febrero de 1945. El 11 de febrero de 1945, el coronel Orin D. Haugen (el comandante del regimiento) fue mortalmente herido y murió a causa de las heridas el 22 de febrero de 1945. El teniente coronel Edward Lahti, el El comandante del 3er Batallón asumió el mando y permaneció al mando hasta agosto de 1947.

El 23 de febrero de 1945, en un esfuerzo por rescatar a los muchos prisioneros (2.147) que aún estaban bajo control japonés en la prisión de Los Bonas, B-511th, más el pelotón de ametralladoras ligeras del HQ1, dieron un salto al amanecer sobre la prisión a las 0700. horas. Junto con un ataque simultáneo, por un pelotón de reconocimiento y guerrilleros filipinos, la prisión fue capturada. Se utilizaron Amtracks (vehículos anfibios del 672º Batallón de Tractores Anfibios) para transportar a los prisioneros a un lugar seguro. El plan preveía la evacuación inmediata de todos los prisioneros y personal militar a la seguridad del área de Manila. Fue casi una operación de libro de texto, no se sufrieron víctimas mortales en toda la misión y todos los prisioneros fueron rescatados.

El Regimiento luchó en las áreas Real, Mt Bijiang y Santo Tomas del 4 de marzo al 24 de marzo de 1945. Del 24 de marzo al 11 de abril de 1945, el Regimiento menos el 3er Batallón, operó en las áreas de Bauen y Batangas como reserva del 6º Ejército. Durante este período, el 3er Batallón se incorporó al 188º PG y luchó en las áreas de Sulac, Sapac, Talisay y Malaraya Hill. Del 12 de abril al 4 de mayo de 1945, el 511 combatió en el área de Lipa y el monte Malepunyo. En mayo de 1945, se instaló el campamento base cerca de Lipa, Luzón. El 23 de junio de 1945, el 1.er Batallón y las Compañías G y I abordaron transportes de tropas del 317.º Grupo de Transporte de Tropas, en la pista de aterrizaje de Lipa y se lanzaron en paracaídas cerca de Aparri como parte de la Fuerza de Tarea Gitana. El 511 ° PIR sufrió un total de 289 muertes y / o bajas en acción durante las Campañas de Leyte y Luzón. Haga clic aquí para obtener una lista completa de aquellos en el 511 que dieron su vida por su país.

El 11 de agosto de 1945, el Regimiento partió de Luzón por aire y fue trasladado a Okinawa. El 30 de agosto de 1945 llegó el 511 por vía aérea, a la Base Aérea de Atsugi cerca de Yokohama para ocupar la ciudad y custodiar los muelles de donde partió la delegación de paz para dirigirse al USS Missouri y la firma del Armisticio. El 16 de septiembre de 1945, el 511 se trasladó a Morioka, Japón para comenzar la ocupación de las prefecturas de Iwate y Aomori en el norte de Honshu. Compañías separadas estaban estacionadas desde el sur de Morioka, hasta el norte de Honshu hasta la ciudad de Aomori. En enero de 1947, las unidades dispersas comenzaron a trasladarse al Campamento Haugen cerca de Hatchinohe. En febrero de 1947, el Cuartel General del Regimiento se trasladó de Morioka a Camp Haugen. Durante los meses de enero a marzo de 1947, el Regimiento volvió a tener fuerza T / O.

En febrero de 1949, el Regimiento menos el 3er Batallón, partió de Camp Haugen y regresó a los Estados Unidos a través del Canal de Panamá y llegó a Nueva Orleans en marzo de 1949, desde donde se trasladó a Camp Campbell, Kentucky. El 3.er Batallón permaneció en Camp Haugen, adscrito a la 7.a División, hasta el 22 de abril de 1949, cuando partió hacia Estados Unidos. Con el estallido de la guerra en Corea, el 25 de junio de 1950, se intensificaron los entrenamientos, incluidos los reservistas. El 1 de agosto de 1950, el 187 ° fue alertado de movimientos en el extranjero y fue designado como el 187 ° Equipo de Combate del Regimiento Aerotransportado. Para llevar el 187 ° ARCT a la fuerza de T / O, sus filas se llenaron desde el 511 ° PIR, y la mayoría de las transferencias se realizaron dentro de unidades similares. Partieron de San Francisco del 6 al 7 de septiembre de 1950 en barco y comenzaron a llegar a Inchon Beachhead, en Corea, el 22 de septiembre de 1950. De las 476 bajas sufridas por el 187 en Corea, durante toda la acción policial (1950- 1953), se ha determinado que al menos 62 estaban en la primera oleada de soldados de la 511a PIR, que se habían fusionado en la 187a ARCT en 1950. Otro punto culminante se produjo en marzo de 1956, cuando la 511a (como parte de la 11a.

División Aerotransportada) cruzó el Atlántico hacia Europa para reemplazar el quinto Inf. Div., En Augsburgo, Alemania, durante la Operación Giroscopio. La duración de quince años de la 511a llegó a su fin en Fort Campbell en julio de 1958, cuando ellos y la 11a Abn. Div. fue oficialmente inactivada. El 1 de junio de 1993, el A-511th Infantry fue reactivado en Fort Rucker, Alabama. Fueron desactivados en noviembre de 1994. El 1 de octubre de 1997, A-511th PIR se reactivó como una empresa de prueba para el sistema de misiles guiados de fibra óptica mejorada (EFOGM), bajo el mando del Cpt. Stephen Inouye en Fort Bragg, Carolina del Norte. Será la primera y única empresa Airborne EFOGM del mundo.

El turno de servicio de los comandantes de la 511a PIR

Coronel Orin D. Haugen enero de 1943 - febrero de 1945

Teniente Coronel. Edward Lahti febrero de 1945 - agosto de 1947

Coronel Reynolds Condon agosto de 1947 - septiembre de 1949

Teniente Coronel. M.M. Lyons septiembre de 1949 - diciembre de 1949

Teniente Coronel. Ben Harrell diciembre de 1949 - julio de 1950

Coronel Aubrey S. Newman agosto de 1950 - abril de 1951

Teniente Coronel. Warren T.Hannum Jr., abril de 1951 - mayo de 1951

Coronel Broadus McAfee mayo de 1951 - mayo de 1952

Teniente Coronel. William M. Haycock mayo de 1952 - julio de 1952

Coronel Curtis J. Herrick julio de 1952 - enero de 1953

Coronel Robert L. Walton enero de 1953 - junio de 1953

Teniente Coronel. Ralph D. Burns junio de 1953 - junio de 1953

Coronel John D. Cone junio de 1953 - junio de 1954

Teniente Coronel. Ralph D. Burns junio de 1954 - julio de 1954

Coronel Patrick F. Cassidy julio de 1954 - junio de 1955

Teniente Coronel. Gordon K. Smith, junio de 1955 - agosto de 1955

Coronel Herman W. Dammer agosto de 1955 - julio de 1956

Teniente Coronel. Cameron Knox julio de 1956 - septiembre de 1956

Coronel D.E. Munson septiembre de 1956 - julio de 1958

Fuentes:

1) Anuarios de infantería de paracaidistas del 511 °

2) Artículos del 511th PIR Association Newsletter & quotWinds Aloft & quot

3) Comunicación con compañeros de la 511ª y conocimiento personal.

& quotFuerza desde arriba & quot - Una crónica histórica impresionante y sustancial
del 511º PIR. El Dr. James Lorio, ex comandante de la Compañía G, usó & quot; Fuerza desde arriba & quot
para contar cuentas personales y las hazañas de los hombres del 511 PIR. & quotFuerza desde arriba & quot puede
también se puede encontrar en la sección PTO y en la sección nueva del sitio.

Si tiene comentarios o una historia para compartir, utilice el formulario de comentarios para comunicarse con nosotros.

Regrese a la página de exhibiciones.


Educación

Después de estudiar en la Realschule, Karlstadt (más tarde rebautizada como Johann-Rudolph-Glauber Realschule Karlstadt) en Alemania, el Instituto Politécnico de Graz, Austria y la Universidad de Praga durante la década de 1870, Tesla se trasladó a Budapest, donde durante un tiempo trabajó en la Central Telefónica.

Fue mientras estaba en Budapest cuando la idea del motor de inducción le llegó por primera vez a Tesla, pero después de varios años de intentar ganar interés en su invento, a los 28 años, Tesla decidió dejar Europa para irse a América.


Masacre de Nueva Orleans (1866)

La Masacre de Nueva Orleans, también conocida como el motín racial de Nueva Orleans, ocurrió el 30 de julio de 1866. Si bien el motín fue típico de numerosos conflictos raciales durante la Reconstrucción, este incidente tuvo un significado especial. Galvanó la oposición nacional a las políticas de reconstrucción moderadas del presidente Andrew Johnson y marcó el comienzo de una reconstrucción del Congreso mucho más amplia en 1867.

El motín tuvo lugar frente al Instituto de Mecánica en Nueva Orleans cuando delegados blancos y negros asistieron a la Convención Constitucional de Luisiana. La Convención se había vuelto a convocar porque la legislatura del estado de Luisiana había aprobado recientemente los códigos negros y se había negado a extender los derechos de voto a los hombres negros. También el 12 de mayo de 1866, cuatro años de la ley marcial impuesta por el Ejército de la Unión terminaron y el alcalde John T. Monroe, que había encabezado el gobierno de la ciudad antes de la Guerra Civil, fue reinstalado como alcalde interino. Monroe había sido un partidario activo de la Confederación.

Mientras una delegación de 130 residentes negros de Nueva Orleans marchaba detrás de la bandera de los Estados Unidos hacia el Instituto de Mecánica, el alcalde Monroe organizó y condujo una multitud de ex Confederados, supremacistas blancos y miembros de la Fuerza de Policía de Nueva Orleans al Instituto para bloquear su camino. El alcalde afirmó que su intención era sofocar cualquier malestar que pudiera surgir de la Convención, pero la verdadera razón era evitar que los delegados se reunieran.

Cuando la delegación llegó a un par de cuadras del Instituto, se hicieron disparos, pero se permitió que el grupo avanzara hacia la sala de reuniones. Una vez que llegaron al Instituto, la policía y los miembros de la mafia blanca los atacaron, golpeando a algunos de los manifestantes mientras otros se apresuraron al interior del edificio por seguridad.

Ahora la policía y la turba rodearon el Instituto y abrieron fuego contra el edificio, disparando indiscriminadamente por las ventanas. Luego, la turba se apresuró a entrar en el edificio y comenzó a disparar contra la multitud de delegados. Cuando la turba se quedó sin municiones, los delegados los rechazaron. La turba abandonó el edificio, se reagrupó y regresó, derribando las puertas y disparando de nuevo contra los delegados, en su mayoría desarmados.

Mientras continuaban los disparos, algunos delegados intentaron huir o rendirse. Algunos de los que se rindieron, en su mayoría negros, fueron asesinados en el acto. Los que corrieron fueron perseguidos mientras la matanza se extendía por varias cuadras alrededor del Instituto. En este punto, tanto los alborotadores como las víctimas incluían personas que nunca estuvieron en el Instituto. Los afroamericanos fueron baleados en la calle o sacados de los tranvías para ser golpeados o asesinados sumariamente. Al final de la masacre, murieron al menos 200 veteranos de guerra negros de la Unión, incluidos cuarenta delegados en la Convención. En total, 238 personas murieron y 46 resultaron heridas.


El peor ataque de tiburón de la historia

Contenido relacionado

Los supervivientes del USS Indianapolis son llevados a asistencia médica en la isla de Guam. Foto de Wikipedia Commons.

los USS Indianápolis había entregado los componentes cruciales de la primera bomba atómica operativa a una base naval en la isla de Tinian en el Pacífico. El 6 de agosto de 1945, el arma arrasaría con Hiroshima. Pero ahora, el 28 de julio, el Indianápolis zarpó de Guam, sin escolta, para encontrarse con el acorazado USS Idaho en el Golfo de Leyte en las Filipinas y prepararse para una invasión de Japón.

El día siguiente fue tranquilo, con el Indianápolis haciendo unos 17 nudos a través de olas de cinco o seis pies en el Pacífico aparentemente interminable. Mientras el sol se ponía sobre el barco, los marineros jugaban a las cartas y leían libros, algunos hablaron con el sacerdote del barco, el padre Thomas Conway.

Pero poco después de la medianoche, un torpedo japonés golpeó el Indianápolis en la proa de estribor, soplando casi 65 pies de la proa del barco y # 8217 fuera del agua y encendiendo un tanque que contiene 3500 galones de combustible de aviación en una columna de fuego disparando varios cientos de pies hacia el cielo. Luego, otro torpedo del mismo submarino golpeó más cerca de la mitad del barco, golpeando los tanques de combustible y los polvorines y provocando una reacción en cadena de explosiones que efectivamente destrozaron el barco. Indianápolis en dos. Aún viajando a 17 nudos, el Indianápolis comenzó a absorber cantidades masivas de agua y el barco se hundió en solo 12 minutos. De los 1.196 hombres a bordo, 900 llegaron vivos al agua. Su calvario & # 8212lo que se considera el peor ataque de tiburón de la historia & # 8212 estaba comenzando.

Cuando salió el sol el 30 de julio, los supervivientes se balancearon en el agua. Las balsas salvavidas escaseaban. Los vivos buscaron a los muertos flotando en el agua y se apropiaron de sus chalecos salvavidas para los supervivientes que no tenían ninguno. Con la esperanza de mantener una apariencia de orden, los supervivientes comenzaron a formar grupos, algunos pequeños, otros más de 300, en aguas abiertas. Muy pronto estarían evitando la exposición, la sed y los tiburones.

Los animales fueron atraídos por el sonido de las explosiones, el hundimiento del barco y los golpes y la sangre en el agua. Aunque muchas especies de tiburones viven en aguas abiertas, ninguna se considera tan agresiva como la punta blanca oceánica. Informes de la Indianápolis los sobrevivientes indican que los tiburones tendían a atacar a víctimas vivas cerca de la superficie, lo que lleva a los historiadores a creer que la mayoría de las víctimas relacionadas con los tiburones provienen de las puntas blancas oceánicas.

La primera noche, los tiburones se enfocaron en los muertos flotantes. Pero las luchas de los sobrevivientes en el agua solo atrajeron a más y más tiburones, que podían sentir sus movimientos a través de una característica biológica conocida como línea lateral: receptores a lo largo de sus cuerpos que captan cambios en la presión y el movimiento desde cientos de metros de distancia. Mientras los tiburones volvían su atención hacia los vivos, especialmente los heridos y los sangrantes, los marineros intentaban ponerse en cuarentena lejos de cualquier persona con una herida abierta, y cuando alguien moría, empujaban el cuerpo, esperando sacrificar el cadáver a cambio de un respiro de la mandíbula de un tiburón. Muchos supervivientes quedaron paralizados por el miedo, incapaces ni siquiera de comer o beber de las escasas raciones que habían rescatado de su barco. Un grupo de supervivientes cometió el error de abrir una lata de spam, pero antes de que pudieran probarlo, el olor de la carne atrajo a un enjambre de tiburones a su alrededor. Se deshicieron de sus raciones de carne en lugar de arriesgarse a un segundo enjambre.

Los tiburones se alimentaron durante días, sin señales de rescate para los hombres. La inteligencia de la Armada había interceptado un mensaje del submarino japonés que había torpedeado el Indianápolis describiendo cómo había hundido un acorazado estadounidense a lo largo de la ruta Indianápolis & # 8217, pero el mensaje fue ignorado como un truco para atraer a los botes de rescate estadounidenses a una emboscada. Mientras tanto, el Indianápolis los sobrevivientes aprendieron que tenían las mejores probabilidades en un grupo, e idealmente en el centro del grupo. Los hombres marginados o, peor aún, solos, eran los más susceptibles a los tiburones.

Con el paso de los días, muchos supervivientes sucumbieron al calor y la sed, o sufrieron alucinaciones que los obligaron a beber el agua de mar que los rodeaba & # 8212 una sentencia de muerte por intoxicación con sal. Aquellos que así apagaban su sed se hundían en la locura, echando espuma por la boca mientras sus lenguas y labios se hinchaban. A menudo se convertían en una amenaza tan grande para los supervivientes como los tiburones que volaban en círculos debajo y muchos arrastraban a sus camaradas bajo el agua con ellos mientras morían.

Después de las 11:00 a.m. del cuarto día en el agua, un avión de la Armada que volaba por encima de sus cabezas divisó el Indianápolis sobrevivientes y pidieron ayuda por radio. En cuestión de horas, otro hidroavión, tripulado por el teniente Adrian Marks, regresó al lugar y arrojó balsas y suministros de supervivencia. Cuando Marks vio a los hombres siendo atacados por tiburones, desobedeció las órdenes y aterrizó en las aguas infestadas, y luego comenzó a rodar en su avión para ayudar a los heridos y rezagados, que estaban en mayor riesgo. Un poco después de la medianoche, el USS Doyle llegó al lugar y ayudó a sacar a los últimos supervivientes del agua. De El Indianápolis & # 8217 tripulación original de 1.196 hombres, solo quedaban 317. Las estimaciones del número de personas que murieron a causa de los ataques de tiburones oscilan entre unas pocas docenas y casi 150. Es imposible estar seguro. Pero de cualquier manera, la prueba de la Indianápolis sobrevivientes sigue siendo el peor desastre marítimo en la historia naval de Estados Unidos.

Fuentes: Richard Bedser. Ocean of Fear: el peor ataque de tiburón jamás visto . Discovery Channel: Estados Unidos, 2007 Cathleen Bester. & # 8220Oceanic Whitetip Shark, & # 8221 En el Museo de Historia Natural de Florida. Consultado el 7 de agosto de 2013 Nick Collins. & # 8220Tiburón oceánico de punta blanca: diez hechos, & # 8221 On Telegraph UK, 6 de diciembre de 2010. Consultado el 6 de agosto de 2013 Tom Harris. & # 8220How Sharks Work, & # 8221 On How Stuff Works, 30 de marzo de 2001. Consultado el 6 de agosto de 2013 Alex Last. & # 8220USS Indianapolis hundiéndose: & # 8216Podía ver tiburones dando vueltas & # 8217 & # 8221 en BBC News Magazine, 28 de julio de 2013. Consultado el 6 de agosto de 2013 Raymond B. Leach. El trágico destino del USS Indianapolis. Lanham, MD: Rowman y Littlefield, 2000 Marc Nobleman. El hundimiento del USS Indianapolis. North Mankato, MN: Capstone Publishers, 2006 & # 8220Oral History -The Sinking of USS Indianapolis, & # 8221 On Naval Historical Center, 1 de septiembre de 1999. Consultado el 7 de agosto de 2013 & # 8220 The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis, 1945. & # 8221 On Eyewitness to History, 2006. Consultado el 6 de agosto de 2013, Doug Stanton. In Harm & # 8217s Way: El hundimiento del USS Indianapolis y la extraordinaria historia de sus supervivientes. Nueva York, NY: Macmillan, 2003 & # 8220 The Story. & # 8221 On the USS Indianapolis CA-35, marzo de 1998. Consultado el 6 de agosto de 2013 Jennifer Viegas. & # 8220Worst Shark Attack, & # 8221 en Discovery Channel. Consultado el 6 de agosto de 2013.


30 de julio de 1943 - Historia

  • Periódicos de EE. UU., Búsqueda completa en 50 estados (1690-actual)
  • Obituarios de EE. UU., (1976-actual)
  • Avisos funerarios en periódicos

Encuesta de registros históricos de WPA

Como parte de la Encuesta de registros históricos, el personal de la WPA creó índices de registros históricos en todo el país, fomentando el interés actual por la genealogía y la historia.

Si ha navegado por Internet en busca de registros genealógicos, es probable que haya encontrado uno o dos sitios que publicaron & quot WPA Cemetery Indexes & quot. La WPA ha desaparecido hace mucho tiempo, pero su legado sigue vivo en la comunidad genealógica. ¿Qué era la WPA, qué hicieron y qué les pasó?

Cuando la Gran Depresión golpeó a los Estados Unidos en 1929, la economía estadounidense tocó fondo. El valor del dólar se volvió casi inútil y millones de estadounidenses perdieron sus trabajos. En 1933, el presidente Franklin D. Roosevelt presentó "The New Deal", una serie de nuevos programas diseñados para ayudar a Estados Unidos a ponerse de pie y hacer que la economía se mueva nuevamente.

Works Progress Administration (WPA) fue uno de esos programas. Inicialmente diseñado para financiar la construcción y la mejora de la infraestructura de Estados Unidos, también financió las artes, la historia y la cultura de Estados Unidos. En resumen, la WPA empleó a estadounidenses desempleados que fueron certificados por agencias locales por cumplir con ciertas calificaciones.

La WPA nació en 1935 con una asignación inicial de $ 4.88 mil millones de dólares del Fondo de Ayuda de Emergencia. A lo largo de los años, la WPA empleó a unos 8,5 millones de estadounidenses y gastó un total de $ 11 mil millones de dólares. Curiosamente, la mitad de esos trabajadores estaban empleados solo en la ciudad de Nueva York. A los trabajadores típicos de la WPA se les pagaba entre $ 15 y $ 90 dólares al mes. Sigue siendo hoy como el intento más vigoroso de la historia de estimular la economía estadounidense. En 1939, la WPA pasó a llamarse Works Proyectos Administración. La WPA vivió solo ocho años.

La WPA era responsable de la construcción de estructuras, como aeropuertos, puertos marítimos y puentes. Pavimentó 651.000 millas de carreteras, construyó 78.000 puentes, 8.000 parques y 800 aeropuertos. La WPA también financió algunos programas en humanidades, incluido el Proyecto Federal de Artes, el Proyecto Federal de Escritores, el Proyecto Federal de Teatro, la Encuesta Nacional de Salud y la Encuesta de Registros Históricos (HRS).

Originalmente organizado en 1935 como parte del Federal Writers Project, el HRS documentó recursos para la investigación de la historia estadounidense. Más tarde se convirtió en una unidad del Programa de Investigación y Registros en 1939. El HRS fue responsable de crear los índices de soundex del censo federal en el que los genealogistas de hoy en día han llegado a depender tanto. El HRS también compiló índices de estadísticas vitales, enterramientos en cementerios, registros escolares, registros militares, mapas, periódicos, y la lista siguió y siguió. Posteriormente, otras organizaciones hicieron microfilmes de estos índices.

La WPA se organizó en divisiones regionales, estatales y locales. Gran parte del trabajo realizado por la HRS se realizó para la Administración Nacional de Archivos y Registros (NARA), así como para las agencias de archivos estatales y las sociedades históricas estatales, que estas entidades aún poseen. Se puede acceder a los microfilmes visitando estas organizaciones.

Con el paso de los años, los funcionarios del gobierno se volvieron muy críticos con la WPA, argumentando que se gastaba dinero para financiar proyectos que la gente no necesitaba, como lecciones de claqué y murales pintados en las oficinas de correos. Roosevelt afirmó que la alta moral de los trabajadores bien valía el dinero. Sin embargo, los fondos federales para la WPA disminuyeron a lo largo de los años y se terminaron ciertos proyectos. El personal de la WPA comenzó a realizar huelgas laborales, que solo alimentaron los argumentos en contra de la WPA.

Cuando Estados Unidos entró en la Segunda Guerra Mundial en 1941, los estadounidenses se pusieron a trabajar en la construcción de máquinas de guerra. Cientos de contratistas de defensa obtuvieron pedidos, lo que provocó el crecimiento de miles de empresas más. En 1943, estaba claro que la WPA había seguido su curso. Roosevelt firmó la orden de rescisión de la WPA, que finalizó el 30 de junio de 1943.

Después de que se disolvió la WPA, los registros, ahora en manos de archivos estatales y sociedades históricas, fueron microfilmados, indexados y puestos a disposición para su uso. Sin embargo, muchos otros registros se colocaron en cajas y se guardaron. Menos aún habían sido destruidos y, en algunos casos, destruidos intencionalmente.

Con la aparición de Internet, los registros WPA se han abierto camino hacia la distribución masiva. Los genealogistas, que durante mucho tiempo se han basado en microfilmes de registros WPA, ahora encuentran los mismos registros en línea. El ejemplo más destacado es el Proyecto del Censo de USGenWeb, donde los voluntarios están migrando los microfilmes del índice del censo a Internet.

Muchas grabaciones de cementerio de WPA también están encontrando su camino en línea. Si bien actualmente no existe un solo proyecto basado en WPA, cientos de personas en los Estados Unidos han visitado sus sociedades históricas locales, han copiado algunos registros y los han publicado en Internet en sus propios sitios web personales.

Si bien los críticos podrían argumentar que el dinero federal se desperdició en proyectos innecesarios, está claro que el trabajo de la WPA fomentó una mayor apreciación por las artes y las humanidades. Los miles de pinturas, escritos, obras de teatro y música de acceso público estimularon la apreciación de las artes por parte de la gente. Los miles de parques e instalaciones recreativas construidas por la WPA, es la razón por la que nos hemos acostumbrado a tener tantos parques e instalaciones cerca. Asimismo, los proyectos de la HRS despertaron el interés por la investigación de la historia y la genealogía, lo que posteriormente rechazó la restauración de cementerios antiguos, la erección de monumentos y el establecimiento de sociedades y clubes. El interés por la genealogía no estaría al nivel actual si no fuera por la WPA.

Steve es el editor de The Cemetery Column y es el webmaster de Cemetery Records Online.


Reserva nuclear de Hanford

En enero de 1943, la Defense Plants Corporation, que en ese momento estaba estableciendo nuevas plantas electrometales y electroquímicas en el noroeste del Pacífico para utilizar la energía hidroeléctrica de las represas de Grand Coulee y Bonneville, solicitó a la Administración de Energía de Bonneville que suministrara electricidad para una nueva "carga misteriosa" en Hanford, una pequeña comunidad agrícola en un recodo del río Columbia en la polvorienta, seca y azotada por el viento Columbia Plateau del centro de Washington. La Segunda Guerra Mundial estaba en su segundo año, y la Comisión de Energía Atómica había adquirido 670 millas cuadradas de tierra en el área de Hanford para un proyecto relacionado con el esfuerzo bélico, pero eso era todo lo que se sabía.

El Distrito de Manhattan del Cuerpo de Ingenieros del Ejército de los Estados Unidos, creado el año anterior, construyó Hanford Engineer Works, empleando a miles de personas en un proyecto secreto para separar el plutonio del uranio para fabricar bombas nucleares. Enrico Fermi había logrado la fisión nuclear en la Universidad de Chicago por primera vez en 1942. Ahora el ejército de los Estados Unidos se apresuraba a desarrollar la bomba antes de que lo hicieran los científicos de Hitler. El Proyecto Manhattan, autorizado por el presidente Roosevelt en diciembre de 1942, incluía laboratorios en el río Clinch en Tennessee, en Los Alamos, Nuevo México y en Hanford.

La construcción de Hanford Engineer Works requirió la reubicación forzosa de dos comunidades, Hanford y White Bluffs, y más de 1,500 personas, incluidos agricultores, ganaderos y los indios Wanapum locales, cuyos sitios de pesca y campamentos salpicaban la reserva de Hanford y la costa del río Columbia. Los indios se trasladaron al oeste del sitio de Hanford en Priest Rapids. Las áreas urbanizadas, incluidas las casas y los ranchos, fueron condenadas por el Ejército después de que los propietarios se fueron, muchas de las casas abandonadas fueron utilizadas por el Ejército como viviendas y oficinas temporales. Muchas personas se opusieron a las tasaciones de sus propiedades por parte del gobierno y abogaron por pagos más altos, en la mayoría de los casos, el Ejército negoció y llegó a un acuerdo extrajudicial. Cuando se completaron los edificios del Proyecto Manhattan, se derribaron las casas y los edificios comunitarios. Solo los restos de hormigón de los cimientos de los edificios marcan los antiguos emplazamientos de la ciudad en la actualidad.

La construcción comenzó en Hanford el 22 de marzo de 1943. E.I Du Pont de Nemours and Co. fue el contratista del sitio. El trabajo incluyó la construcción simultánea de tres complejos de reactores, dos complejos de separaciones químicas, un centro de fabricación e investigación de combustibles, un campamento de construcción y una aldea de empleados. En 30 meses, se construyeron un total de 554 edificios, sin incluir residencias ni dormitorios.

El Ejército seleccionó a Hanford como el sitio de su laboratorio secreto de bombas por varias razones clave. Primero, estaba aislado y el Ejército exigía el secreto. El secreto casi se filtró en abril de 1944 cuando el congresista de Oregon Homer Angell defendió las asignaciones para el proyecto al referirse públicamente a la "carga misteriosa" de electricidad que se necesitaba en Hanford para "una nueva arma de guerra, desarrollada por nuevos procesos de fabricación que se volverán grandes volúmenes de electricidad en el proyectil más importante desarrollado hasta ahora ". La Oficina de Censura en tiempos de guerra intentó, sin éxito, impedir que el periódico Oregon Journal de Portland publicara una historia sobre los comentarios de Angell. El secreto, sin embargo, permaneció intacto. En segundo lugar, había un suministro abundante de agua clara y fría del río Columbia, y los reactores necesitaban agua fría para disipar el calor generado por la fisión nuclear. En tercer lugar, los reactores y las plantas químicas requerían grandes cantidades de electricidad, y los gobiernos dos nuevas represas hidroeléctricas en Grand Coulee y Bonneville estaban cerca: Grand Coulee, estaba a solo 90 millas al norte.

Los reactores del Proyecto Manhattan en Hanford eran pequeños y anodinos. Cada uno medía 36 pies de largo y 28 pies de alto. Cada uno utilizó 200 toneladas de combustible de uranio metálico y 1200 toneladas de grafito para controlar la fisión nuclear en las pilas de uranio. Se planearon seis reactores, espaciados a intervalos de una milla a lo largo de la orilla sur del río a medida que atraviesa el sitio de Hanford. A cada sitio del reactor se le asignó una identificación alfabética, de la A a la F. Los reactores B, D y F se construyeron primero en ubicaciones alternas que tenían un promedio de seis millas de distancia. Cada sitio era autónomo. Esto aseguró el aislamiento de otros sitios, los trabajadores y la población cercana en caso de que se filtrara radiactividad o se produjera una explosión. Las plantas de separación química, que no requerían agua del río Columbia, se construyeron a 10 millas al sur de los reactores, separadas de ellos por Gable Mountain y Gable Butte.

El primer reactor, en el sitio B, comenzó a operar el 26 de septiembre de 1944. El primer plutonio se entregó al Ejército el 2 de febrero de 1945. La primera explosión de prueba fue el 16 de julio, en Nuevo México, y se lanzaron bombas nucleares sobre Hiroshima el 6 de agosto y Nagasaki tres días después. El plutonio de la segunda bomba se fabricó en Hanford. La guerra terminó poco después.

La energía hidroeléctrica del río Columbia ayudó a construir una de las dos bombas que pusieron fin a la Segunda Guerra Mundial, pero la guerra no dependió de la disponibilidad de cantidades masivas de energía hidroeléctrica a pesar de las afirmaciones de algunas personas, incluido el presidente Harry Truman. Haciendo campaña en Pocatello, Idaho, en 1948, Truman comentó: "Sin las represas de Grand Coulee y Bonneville, hubiera sido casi imposible ganar esta guerra". Earl Warren, the Republican vice presidential candidate the same year, said Hitler would have developed the bomb first if not for Columbia River hydropower. The truth, however, is that Columbia River hydropower made the Hanford site possible, but Hanford was just one of six sites where the Army considered building the secret engineering and production facility. There were no nationwide power shortages during the war, and if another site had been selected the government would have diverted electricity from domestic uses if necessary. In fact, historians have asserted that the Columbia River dams didn’t win the war as much as the war won the public relations battle over the dams. The war effort brought an influx of people and industry to the region and boosted the regional economy. The war helped legitimize the government’s gamble in building the big dams.

Today the Hanford site encompasses 586 square miles. Over time, the plutonium production complex grew to nine reactors, all now closed. Hanford is the site of the only operating nuclear power plant in the Northwest, the Columbia Generating Station operated by Energy Northwest. Construction began in the 1970s on that plant and on two other nuclear plants at Hanford, all planned as part of the Hydro-Thermal Power Program. The two others never were completed. Battelle Pacific Northwest Laboratories also has research facilities at Hanford, but the primary focus of work is the federal Department of Energy’s effort to clean up the radioactive waste left over from the Manhattan Project.

The magnitude of the radioactive contamination at Hanford is staggering. Much of the waste is liquid — about 53 million gallons — as the chemical extraction process used at Hanford involved soaking the spent uranium fuel rods from the reactors in nitric acid to separate the plutonium. Liquid wastes are stored in 177 underground tanks 70 are leaking, and a plume of radioactivity is seeping toward the Columbia. There are 1,700 waste sites and about 500 contaminated buildings.

The cleanup plan, which is being implemented by the federal Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the state of Washington Department of Ecology, calls for pumping liquid wastes from tanks (single-shell tanks first) and combining the liquid with molten glass, a process known as vitrification, for eventual burial in a waste depository. The Hanford waste also includes 75,000 barrels of solid radioactive waste, most of which remains buried in trenches but is being removed. Solid waste also includes spent fuel rods, such as the 2,300 tons of spent fuel stored underwater in large, concrete pools at the two K Basin reactors. The pools had stored cooling water for the reactors when they were operating. Spent fuel rods exposed to air can burn, possibly spreading radioactive ash and particles.

The spent fuel in the two K Basin ponds, was deteriorating and so beginning in 1994 crews removed it and, over time, moved it to Hanford’s Canister Storage Building, where it will remain until a permanent, national repository for spent fuel is built. Once the spent fuel was removed, some 47 cubic yards of radioactive sludge was removed from the bottom of the two ponds and stored in containers.


30 July 1943 - History

This timeline was created for the Museum of The San Fernando ValIey and pulls from resources like Calisphere, the Library of Congress, CSUN, personal blogs and a diverse set of publications. Visit the &lsquoresources&rsquo page for a complete listing of sources.

Special thanks to Tiffany Do for her research and interest in creating the timeline, and Hillary Jenks and Alexis Moreno for their help in writing the entries.

144 - 65 million years ago The Chatsworth Formation is created.

50,000 – 15,000 BC People of northeast Asia follow herds of caribou, bison & mammoth and migrate across the present day Bering Strait. They move south along ice-fee corridors into the North American continent to what is now California. Other people migrate north from what is now South America.

1200 -1800 AD Chumash cave dwellers paint pictographs in the caves of the Burro Flats.

Approximately 40 tribes exist around the Valley, collectively called &lsquoFernandeños,&rsquo after the mission. Some communities date to 900 AD, like the Village of Tujunga.

1542 Juan Cabrillo claims Southern California territory for the Spanish kingdom, beginning over three and half centuries of occupation. The Portuguese-born sailor goes on to &ldquodiscover&rdquo the Catalina Islands, the sites of San Pedro and Santa Monica, and the Santa Barbara Channel Islands.

1720 Map of California from Frenchman Nicolas de Fer shows California as an island.

1784 Corporal Jose Maria Verdugo establishes Rancho San Rafael in Burbank/Glendale.

1795 Campo de Cahuenga adobe house is built, and Rancho Encino is founded.

1769 The Spanish claim Alta California (present day California) in the &ldquoSacred Expedition,&rdquo when explorer Gaspar de Portolà reaches San Diego. With him are two Franciscan padres, Junipero Serra and Juan Crespi, who record the expedition and found the first mission. The Sacred Expedition is a religious & military project of missionization and colonization on behalf of Spain. Spanish citizenship is earned by Native Americans upon the acceptance of Christianity. Demographers estimate that between 300,000 & 1,000,000 Indians inhabit what is now California on the eve of colonization in the 18th century.The Spanish &ldquodiscover&rdquo the valley from the Sepulveda Pass. They name it Valle de Santa Catarina de Bononia de los Encinos (Valley of St. Catherine of Bononia of Oaks).

1797 Mission San Fernando Rey de España is created and housed on Rancho Encino. It is the 17th of the California missions established by Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen. Using Native American workers to not only construct the mission but also work it, the mission quickly becomes one of the most prosperous in California, producing abundant harvests and goods. The mix of agrarian and industrial life at this early stage in the Valley&rsquos history sets a precedent for the future economy of the Valley as a pastoral region with some areas of industry.

1813 Father Muñoz and Father Nuez take the first census of the Valley which focused on Mission Indians.

1819 As a working ranch, Mission San Fernando reaches its economic peak.

1822 Spanish rule in California becomes Mexican rule with the rise of the Republic of Mexico and the country's successful War for Independence from Spain.

1826 The Mexican government expels Spaniards with government order.

1833 The Mexican government secularizes the missions, making them public property and allows for land to be distributed to Indian neophytes and Mexican soldiers as payment for service in the military. Of the missions&rsquo eight million acres originally designated as the property of converted Native Americans, 500 land grants are created for influential families.

1842 Discovery of gold in San Fernando by Francisco &ldquoCuso&rdquo Lopez in Placeritas Canyon sparks a town of 60,000.

1843 Manuel Micheltorena, governor of southern California, decrees the restoration of southern missions to church control. This controversial move helps spark the revolution for California self-rule.

1845 Pio Pico&rsquos &ldquoEmancipation Proclamation&rdquo liberates Indians and simultaneously ends the Mission system. Land grants are given to Indians.

1846 Governor Pio Pico sells most of the San Fernando Valley land to Eulogio de Celis before the Mexican War.

1847 Mexican Map of Mexico and the United States.

Above: San Fernando Mission chapel and Indian cemetery, circa 1910s. An unusual marble headstone marks Epiritu Chijulla Leonis' grave. She died in 1906. Image care of CSUN.

1846 - 1848 The Mexican American War results in California becoming part of the United States, along with more than half of former Mexican land. Though the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo formally ends the war, it becomes an issue of contention when existing Californio rights are not honored as promised, and the Treaty is breached.

1847 Agreement of peace (Cahuenga Capitulation) between Fremont and Pico gives Americans control of California in the war. The treaty takes place at the house of Don Feliz (Campo de Cahuenga) near the Cahuenga Pass.

1849 The gold rush in Northern California draws people, and the Valley is cow country full of ranchos that feed them.

1850 California joins the United States Los Angeles County (which includes the San Fernando Valley) initially comprises 4,340 square miles and the first United States Census measures its population at 3,530.

1851 Alexander Bell and David Alexander become the first American landowners in the Valley after Vicente de Osa sells Rancho Providencia. His adobe house eventually becomes state historical monument: Los Encinos State Historical Park.

1853 The Cahuenga Pass is opened for oxcart travel, and a wagon road is built over the mountains between Mission San Fernando and Rancho San Francisquito.

1854 Rancho Ex-Mission de San Fernando falls into hands of Andres Pico who becomes known for his hospitality and entertainment.

1854 The Lankershim family settles in California.

1855 A new road allows lines of stages, trains of wagons and pack mules to travel to Kern River gold fields.

1860 Geronimo Lopez&rsquos adobe home becomes known as the Lopez Station for housing the stagehouse for the Valley.

Above: An 1865 painting &ldquoA Californian magnate in his home. General Don Andres Pico of Los Angeles.&rdquo Southern mission orchard vaqueros lassoing cattle corridor of the farm-building.

Above: Ex-Mission of San Fernando. Plat Map of Rancho Encino, registered 1873, based on 1868 survey.

1869 Lopez Station is Valley&rsquos first official post office.

1872 Charles Nordhoff writes California for Health, Pleasure and Residence. This pamphlet extolls the benefits of living in Southern California in order to be healed of many diseases like tuberculosis. Unknown to his readers, Nordhoff is paid by the Southern Pacific Railroad to praise the curative nature of the region&rsquos climate.

1874 The Southern Pacific Railroad offers service from Los Angeles to San Fernando linking the Valley to Los Angeles more closely.

1874 State senators George K. Porter and Charles Maclay buy the northerly half of the Valley from the Celis heirs. Porter, and partners H.C. Hubbard and F.M. Wright, begin ranching within a year. Senator Maclay goes to the County Recorder in Los Angeles and creates the City of San Fernando (township) through a map of development plans.

1878 Severe drought in the valley leads to a wildfire that destroys 18,000 acres.

1880 San Fernando Farm Homestead Association officially distributes property to stockholders. Los Angeles Farm and Milling Company, the successor to the Homestead Association, promotes wheat and flour-milling industry.

1883 The first newspaper in the Valley is established: the San Fernando Comet.

1884 Major flooding in the Valley occurs and devastates the cattle economy.

1887 A real estate boom partitions up the Valley, beginning with the Lankershim Ranch Land and Water Company, which buys land from the Los Angeles Farm and Milling Company.

1888 Irrigation map care of the David Rumsey Map Collection.

1897 Squatters of the Land Settlers league attempt to squat in the San Fernando Valley under the belief that it is public land for settlement.

1904 James Jeffries, heavyweight boxing champion, makes his home in Burbank. Jeffries is the &ldquogreat white hope&rdquo who comes out of retirement to unsuccessfully fight African American Jack Johnson in 1910.

1907 Los Angeles approves a 23 million dollar bond issue for aqueduct construction from Owens Valley. William Mulholland, engineer, works on Los Angeles Aqueduct.

1908 The Southern Pacific Railroad Station opens at Zelzah.

1909 Harry Chandler of the Los Angeles Times buys land throughout the Valley.

In 1915, the city of Los Angeles annexes the San Fernando Valley - a crucial development as this enables the Valley to gain access to the water coming from Owens Valley from the Los Angeles Aqueduct (completed two years earlier under the direction of William Mulholland). The aqueduct provides a surplus of water to the city in anticipation of its future growth. Without this crucial aqueduct or annexation, the Valley would be vastly different. But the taking of this water destroys the environment and the economy of the Owens Valley, once a beautiful valley known for its migrating birds and diverse, self-sustaining ecosystems.

1915 Universal City officially opens.

1916 Due to the influx of water provided by the LA Aqueduct, Valley residents begin growing oranges.

1918 The Valley reports record crops including 55,000,000 pounds of beans, and a variety of fruits and vegetables including apricots, citrus, peaches, potatoes, and sugar beets. Canning and poultry are also major businesses in the Valley.

1926 The town of Sherman Oaks and the street Sherman Way bear legacy to pioneer of the San Fernando Valley General Moses Hazeltine Sherman.

1927 Valley residents use gas as a means to beat Prohibition and create &ldquomoonshine.&rdquo The gas company teams up with police to monitor any unusually large consumption of gas.

1928 United Airport is named. It will be re-named Union Air Terminal in 1934 and is now known as Bob Hope Airport.

1928 St. Francis Dam is built by the City of LA Bureau of Water Works and Supply in 1925-26. The dam is approximately 200 feet high in San Francisquito Canyon, about 5 miles northeast of what is now Magic Mountain. The dam fails upon its first full filling on March 12, killing 450 people in the San Francisquito and Santa Clara River valleys.

1929 World wide depression devastates local and global economies. President Franklin Roosevelt puts out of work artists to work. Photographs at right by Dorothea Lange of the San Fernando Valley in 1936, care of the Library of Congress.

1931 Residents protest changing the name of Cahuenga to Highland because of the uniqueness of the name Cahuenga. Going back to Native American terms, the word Cahuenga reflects the Native American origins of the San Fernando Valley.

1936 &ldquoRural rehabilitation client. San Fernando Valley, California. Chicken farmer making good on rural resettlement loan. Selling case of eggs a day. On state emergency relief administration job before loan.&rdquo

1940 Rocketdyne&rsquos Santa Susana Field Laboratory is established.

1940 Walt Disney Studios moves to Burbank.

1941- May 29 Disney Studio animators strike Disney due to Walt Disney's inconsistent monetary rewards for better workers. The strike occurs during the making of the animated feature "Dumbo," and a number of strikers are caricatured in the film as clowns who go to "hit the big boss for a raise." The strike lasts five weeks and is settled by a federal mediator.

1941 When the United States joins World War II, the Valley changes from a place of agriculture to manufacturing as part of the war effort and defense institutions like Lockheed. Executive Order 9066 sends 3,000 Japanese Americans to internment camps. Many former Los Angelenos return to the Valley after internment.

1941 Old Trapper&rsquos Lodge Motel with giant trapper sculptures is built as an attraction.

1943 - 1944 The San Fernando Valley is promoted in music and film. &ldquoSan Fernando Valley&rdquo by Gordon Jenkins is recorded and released. Many singers record Jenkins&rsquo song including Bing Crosby (whose version hits #1 on Billboard Magazine&rsquos chart in 1944) and the King Sisters the publicity helps build a population explosion. Celebrities and media promote Valley development. The Westerns &ldquoBells of San Fernando&rdquo and the Western &ldquoSan Fernando Valley&rdquo are released.

1945 Despite the wartime ban against strikes, set designers from the Conference of Studio Unions strike against Warner Brothers film studio for 30 weeks. On October 5, also known as &ldquoHollywood&rsquos Black Friday,&rdquo picketing workers are attacked by executives and studio police, inciting &ldquothe Battle of Warner Brothers&rdquo at their Burbank studios. Producers pelt metal nuts and bolts from the roof and police hose workers and throw tear gas. Strikers overturn three cars in the melee. The strike ends and negotiations are never resolved. This bloody event leads to the passage of the 1947 Taft Hartley Act, which severely restricts workers&rsquo abilities to strike and the power of unions.

1953 After the death of Mrs. Phyllis O&rsquoKray from the crash of a jet plane, Valley residents picket Lockheed Aircraft Corporation in Van Nuys to abolish the use of the San Fernando Valley for jet flying. This hastens the move of Lockheed Aircraft Corp to its Palmdale location.

1956 The Pencil House Bottle Building is created by Grandma Prisbrey in Simi Valley.

1956 The San Fernando Valley Campus of the Los Angeles State College of Applied Arts and Sciences (CSUN) opens. This will be the third institution of higher education founded in the Valley in 1947 Pierce College is founded and in 1949 Valley College opens.

1957 November 12: Edward R. Murrow televises the Sodium Reactor Experiment from the Santa Susana Research Facility on his program as it powered Moorpark. In a PR effort by the Atomic Energy Commission, "See It Now" television show is present to film when the SRE was tied into an Edison substation to light the town of Moorpark. Supposedly, this was the first time a nuclear reactor produces commercial electricity.

1959 Two events at the Santa Susana Research Facility disperse radioactivity. In March the AE-6 Reactor Accident releases contamination. In July the Sodium Reactor Experiment suffers a partial meltdown its estimated release is 240 times that of 3 Mile Island. To the public, it is disclosed as a "parted fuel element" being observed. Official records state that 13 of 43 fuel elements suffered damage. Additional fuel-element handling accidents occurred during the recovery process that resulted in radiological releases to the environment and surrounding communities.

1959 Valley leaders and parents protest the increase in mailed pornography in the community.

1960 The Ventura Freeway, also known as the 101, opens.

1966 A coalition of property owning and tax paying associations come together to create a mass group to protest hikes on property taxes.

1966 The Ku Klux Klan parades down Van Nuys Boulevard in Panorama City on September 15. Many protest the event.

Between 1967 and 1971 there are six massive demonstrations at San Fernando Valley State College (now known as California State University Northridge) against the lack of representation or curricula related to ethnic studies and the war in Vietnam. The campus has an &ldquoOpen Forum&rdquo where speakers like Angela Davis (above in 1970) speak to students. In March 1968 presidential candidate Robert Kennedy stumps at the college.

1971 Paraplegic protestors hold "wheel-a-thons" around the San Fernando Valley to protest curb designs that hinder the mobility of wheelchairs.

1971 An earthquake measuring 6.6 on the Richter scale rocks Sylmar and kills 65 people.

1971 The Sylmar Tunnel Disaster strikes when Lockheed Shipbuilding and Construction Company tunnels to bring water from the Feather River to the Los Angeles basin. Although safety inspector Wally Zavattero discovers hazardous conditions and orders precautions taken, they are ignored, leading to an explosion that killed 17 people.

1979 Valley residents march against Rocketdyne&rsquos Canoga Park facility on the anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings to protest the dangerous activities of operations involving nuclear energy.

1982 Frank & Moon Unit Zappa record &ldquoValley Girl.&rdquo

1982 Judy Baca with hundreds of others paints "The Great Wall," the world's longest mural, in Valley Glen.

1984 Trapper&rsquos Lodge is made into a state cultural landmark.

1985 Pacoima police use a motorized battering ram to knock a hole into an alleged &ldquorock house,&rdquo home that sells drugs. Residents protest the military level equipment as excessive force.

1987 Senior citizens, specifically, &ldquonotch babies,&rdquo those born between 1917 and 1921 receive fewer social security benefits because of an oversight by Congress. Protesting for equality, the senior citizens gather at the Van Nuys-Sherman Oaks Recreation Center to band together.

1991 Motorist Rodney King is pulled over on Foothill Boulevard in Lake View Terrace where 15 LAPD officers in patrol cars converged on him. A local resident videotapes the beating, which becomes a national discussion on police brutality.

1992 The Rodney King trial takes place in Simi Valley with a jury of ten whites, one Latino, and one Asian. The jury acquits the officers. Upon hearing the verdict, hundreds of Los Angelenos begin a protest that turns into a &ldquolive&rdquo televised six-day riot where 53 people die and the total cost of damages equals $1,000,000,000.

1994 – 57 people lose their lives in the wake of the 6.7 magnitude Northridge Earthquake. With twenty billion dollars in damage, it is one of the costliest natural disasters in United States history.

1996 Unrest occurs at California State University Northridge when Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke speaks on campus.

2002 Measure F is designed to approve secession from Los Angeles. Although it initially gains momentum, the measure ultimately fails to garner enough votes.

Over 1,800,000 people live and work in the San Fernando Valley. If the 300 square mile area that is the Valley were a single city, it would be the 5th largest in the nation. Until now, there has been no one museum or institution to document, preserve, and celebrate the full scope of the collective history, culture, and arts of such an important place until the 2005 incorporation of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley.


The battle of Prokhorovka, 12 July 1943

On 11 July SS Panzergrenadier Division Leibstandarte overcame an anti-tank ditch which was to play an important role the following day. Beyond it stretched Hill 252.2, ‘like an enormous wave’. After managing to capture the heights and the Oktiabrskiy state farm on the far side against the resistance of 9 th Guards Paratroop Division, Leibstandarte was only 2.5 km from Prokhorovka. At the same time, however, it had manoeuvred itself into a very exposed position with open flanks. Only a loose connection remained to its right-hand neighbour SS Panzergrenadier Division Das Reich. An even more dangerous situation had developed on the left wing, which was hanging in the air. Since SS Panzergrenadier Division Totenkopf had attacked northwards rather than eastwards, the two thrust wedges had drafted apart, leaving a gap which Leibstandarte’s Reconnaissance Battalion could only monitor but by no means secure. At that moment an enemy push along the river Psel would inevitably have disastrous consequences. For that reason Leibstandarte was instructed to halt its advance for the time being. II SS Panzer Korps ordered the attack by Division Totenkopf on the dominating Hill 226.6 in the Psel bridgehead to be pressed forward the next day with ‘all the artillery available’ to the korps. Only when this upland north of the Psel had been taken in its entirety should the other two divisions resume their attack. 39

Meanwhile, the Leibstandarte units had been torn apart. On the right wing, south of the railway embankment, stood 1 st SS Panzergrenadier Regiment, and on the left, far forward in the wake of Hill 252.2, 2 nd SS Panzergrenadier Regiment. The division’s panzer regiment, on the other hand, was recovering from its exertions in a dip behind Hill 252.2. In reality, the regiment consisted of only one battalion of three companies of Pz IVs (it began the offensive with four companies and 79 operational Panzer IVs), to which a heavy panzer company with four operational Tigers had been attached. As stated the panzer regiment’s other battalion was back in German undergoing conversion to Panthers. Therefore, on 12 July between the railway embankment and the river Psel 5 th Guards Tank Army would only face a single panzer battalion.

Rotmistrov launched the attack around 09.00 (10.00 Moscow time), many of Leibstandarte’s exhausted tank crews were still fast asleep. The foremost German unit at that moment was 2 nd SS Panzergrenadier Regiment’s III Battalion. The previous day its infantry had taken Hill 252.2 and occupied the captured trenches. On the morning of 12 July, the following scene took place on that hill: ‘We were all fast asleep when they were suddenly all over us with aircraft and endless mass of tanks with infantry riding on them. It was hell. They were around us, over us, among us. We fought man to man.’

The first German tank officer to see the Soviet tank avalanche was Oberstrumführer Rudolf von Ribbentrop. Looking up at Hill 252.2 that morning he saw violet signal flares, meaning ‘tank alarm’. The signals were ‘seen all along the crest of the slope’ and also appeared ‘farther to the right at the railway embankment’. While the other two panzer companies remained behind the anti-tank ditch, he set off up the hill with his company’s seven Panzer IVs.

On reaching the crest of the slope we saw another low rise about 200 meters away on the other side of a small valley, on which our infantry positions were obviously located… The small valley extended to our left, and as we drove down the forward slope we spotted the first T-34’s which were apparently attempting to outflank us from the left. We halted on the slope and opened fire, hitting several of the enemy. A number of Russian tanks were left burning. For a good gunner 800 meters was the ideal range.

Ribbentrop then saw a huge column of tanks approaching:

As we waited to see if further enemy tanks were going to appear, I looked around… about 150 to 200 metres in front of us there emerged from a slight dip in the terrain 15, 20, 30, 40 Russian T-34s, and then too many to count. The wall of tanks rolled towards us. Tank by tank, wave upon wave, an unimaginable mass of armour approaching at top speed.

The seven German tanks stood no chance against such overwhelming odds. Four were hit immediately, but the other three got away. 40

The attacking formation which appeared so suddenly was the mass of 29 th Tank Corps, led by Maj.-Gen. Kirichenko, consisting of 212 fighting vehicles. 41 The attack at this location was carried out by 31 st and 32 nd Tank Brigades and 53 rd Motorized Rife Brigade, supported by a self-propelled gun regiment and 26 th Guards Paratroop Regiment. Once the tanks had passed the crest of Hill 252.2, they raced down the incline towards the two German panzer companies, which opened fire on them from the declivity. Mistaking the Germans tanks for Tigers, they wanted to eliminate their range superiority as quickly as possible. According to a German eyewitness report, ‘to anyone seeing the whole thing, it looked like the Russians were carrying out a Kamikaze attack’ If the Soviet tanks broke through in depth, it could only result in the collapse of the German front. Then, in a few minutes, the whole picture changed, and the seemingly inevitable victory turned into a catastrophe for the attackers. All because of an incredible Soviet oversight. They had forgotten about their own anti-tank ditch! This 4.5 m- deep obstacle, which we have already mentioned had been dug by Soviet infantry and stretched across the declivity of Hill 252.2 at right angles to the German–now the Soviet–direction of attack. The German defenders watched in amazement as ‘more and more T-34s came over the crest, raced down the slope, and overturned in the anti-tank ditch behind which we were positioned’. Ribbentrop had got away by moving along together with the Soviet fighting vehicles in a thick cloud of dust:

Now the T-34s recognized the ditch and tried to veer left to the road, in order to get across the ditch via the bridge, which had been repaired. What happened then is indescribable […] As they converged on the bridge, the Russians were exposed on the flanks and made easier targets. Burning T-34s ran into and over each other. An inferno of, fire smoke, burning tanks, dead and wounded!

On the other side of the ditch, there were only two German Panzer companies, who would normally have stood no chance of stopping the avalanche of steel. Now it was simply ‘target practice at moving targets’. Finally, the four Tigers came rushing up and were deployed on the division’s left wing.

By noon 2 nd SS Panzergrenadier Regiment had recaptured Hill 252.2 and the Oktiabrskiy state farm. The front slope of the hill looked like a tank graveyard, covered with the still-burning wrecks of some 100 Soviet tanks and a few infantry fighting vehicles from III Battalion 2 nd SS Panzergrenadier Regiment. On 12 July, according to the logistics files, SS Panzergrenadier Division Leibstandarte seized 190 Soviet tanks abandoned in the areas which it had temporarily lost and then recovered. Most of them were found on the front slope of the hill. Yet the figure reported seemed so incredible that SS Obergruppenführer Paul Hausser, the commanding general of II SS Panzer Korps, drove to the front in person to see for himself. According to the most recent Russian information, on 12 July 29 th Tank Corps alone lost 102 of 212 tanks and assault guns as write-offs (60 T-34s, 31 T-70s, 8 SU-122s, 3 SU-76s). Casualties totalled 1,991, including 1,033 dead and missing.

The photographs which encompass the fighting in the 29 th Tank Corps area of operations are as follows: The 16 July photograph GX-3734-SK-61 and the 7 August photographs GX-3942-SK-69 and GX-3942-SD-124 most strongly relate to the fighting on the line of advance of 32 nd and 31 st Tank Brigades in the central area of the battlefield. 42 The 32 nd and 31 st Tank Brigades advanced with the railway embankment on their left flank and the Oktiabrskiy State Farm (and the surrounding area) on their right flank (See Figures 4–7). This route traversed Hill 252.2 and ultimately the notorious anti-tank ditch at its foot. As the Germans recaptured their forward positions by the end of the day, the front lines of 16 July were virtually identical to that of 12 July. Therefore, photograph GX-3734-SK-61 is truly remarkable it is the sole photograph available that clearly shows the mass destruction of the 29 th Tank Corps. The vast numbers of destroyed Soviet tanks and equipment visible in the anti-tank ditch and the fields immediately in front of the obstacle is astonishing. It is possible to see a mangled mass of Soviet tanks in the left-hand half of the anti-tank ditch (nearest the main road) and many individually destroyed tanks in the right-hand half of the anti-tank ditch (See Figures 8–22). 43 As the crest of Hill 252.2 and the Oktiabrskiy state farm were back in German hands by the end of 12 July, we know that any disabled German tanks in this area were able to be recovered from the battlefield with exception of two Pz IVs which could not be recovered due to enemy fire. We also know that all the destroyed tanks that can be seen on the field of battle in these photographs in the area between the Oktiabrskiy state farm and the anti-tank ditch will almost certainly be Soviet. 44


Ver el vídeo: 30. Juli, bewölkt


Comentarios:

  1. Nechemya

    Debes decirle: la mentira.

  2. Aesctun

    Una buena respuesta, Bravo :)

  3. Eburscon

    Lamento que interfieran, yo también me gustaría expresar mi opinión.

  4. Quincy

    Bravo, qué frase necesaria ..., una idea brillante

  5. Attewater

    Te equivocas. Lo sugiero que debatir. Escríbeme en PM, nos comunicaremos.

  6. JoJozuru

    Creo que estás equivocado. Vamos a discutir. Escríbeme en PM.

  7. Bradan

    Una gran idea y de manera oportuna



Escribe un mensaje